Computer Science and Language (CSL)Senior Sophister
There are core modules in computer-science, linguistics and the chosen language.
There are also modules chosen from a range of options offered by the contributing departments. The optional modules are subject to some variation year-on-year.
Each student also undertakes a final-year under the supervision of a member of staff, drawn from one of the contributing departments. See FYP section below
Current students should refer to my.tcd.ie for time tables in French, German and Modern Irish modules.
Core Modules in Computer Science
|CS4LL1 Information Management|
|CS4404 Machine Learning|
|CS4060 Knowledge Representation and Automata|
|CSLL00 Dublin Computational Linguistics Research Seminar (DCLRS) See here for some info on past and intended seminars|
Core Modules in LinguisticsThese are the core modules:
|LI4031 Speech Analysis and Synthesis|
|LI4032 Computational Linguistics|
Core Modules in specific language studied
|FR4061 Oral and Essay skills for CSL|
|FR4059 Translation skills for CSL|
|GR4001 German Language 4|
|GR4010 German Translation|
|IR4021 Ranganna teagaisc|
Option Modules from various departments10 ECTS-worth of option modules are taken, either two 5 ECTS courses, or one 10 ECTS course. The options available vary somewhat year to year. The following is an indicative list drawn from the various departments
- CS4LL5 Advanced Computational Linguistics
- CS4001: Fuzzy Logic
- CS4004: Formal Verification Techniques
- CS4012: Topics in Functional Programming
- CS4021: Advanced Computer Architecture
- CS4031: Mobile Communications
- CS4032: Distributed Systems
- CS4052: Computer Graphics
- CS4053: Computer Vision
- CS4071: Compiler Design II
- LI4034 Second Language Acquisition
- IR3470 Litrìocht Bhéaloidis (S1, 5 ECTS)
- IR3477 Prós na Linne (S1, 5 ECTS)
- IR3478 Gearrscéalta Mháirtín Uí Chadhain (S1, 5 ECTS)
- IR4385 An Fhilíocht Chomhaimseartha (S1, 5 ECTS)
- IR4386 Scéalaíocht na Sean-Ré (S1, 5 ECTS)
- IR4362 Ainmneacha agus Sloinnte na nGael (S2, 5 ECTS)
- IR3483 Cúirt an mheón-oíche (S2, 5 ECTS)
- IR3466 Filíocht na Fiannavíochta (S2, 5 ECTS)
- IR3468 Dán Díreach (S2, 5 ECTS)
- Kulturwissenschaft (10 ECTS)
- Experimentelle Prosa (10 ECTS)
- Kunst nach Auschwitz (10 ECTS)
Each student also undertakes a final-year project.
- It is worth 10 ECTS, and its execution is over the whole of the final year.
It may be in any area of computer science, linguistics or language
study which interests the student and for which the student can locate
a supportive supervisor. Besides the links to proposed projects below,
it is also possible to contact a member of staff in one of the
participating departments with an outline project proposal of your own to see
if they are willing to supervise it.
The nature of what is undertaken in the project can vary a great deal; some projects will contain a substantial implementation aspect, others might be more theoretical. The aim in all cases is to allow the student to exhibit their personal powers of invention, analysis, problem solving and clear written explanation. Typically over the year the student will meet regularly with the supervisor. The project is assessed primarily on the basis of a substantial written report produced by the student (there are further guidelines available on the SCSS projects page here )
Having looked into the available projects you should contact the relevant member of staff to discuss it.
- There is a list of projects which are currently proposed by SCSS members of staff. There is no necessary link between the topic of a FYP and a particular final year option course. However browsing through the list of proposed projects you will probably find some for which it would be a very good idea to be also pursuing a particular final year option. The project supervisor will point this out.
- There have been projects supervised by members of staff in linguistics and in the language departments. Again your best bet is to approach members of staff there and discuss possibilities (you might start with the subject area coordinators -- see Handbook)
- As an indicator of the variety of projects undertaken, and of the nature of the final report which is written, there is a list of projects undertaken in the past
- A LaTeX style and information about its use is available at /shared/teaching/CSLL/4thYrProjects/FYPLatexTemplate